Friends Field Trip
When: Saturday, May 18th, 2019 Time: 9:00-11:00
Location: Doeskin Ranch
Title: Edible and Useful Plants of the Hill Country
Event host: Master Naturalist Evelyn Nugent
Att'n Master Naturalists: Master Naturalists can count this as AT.
Native peoples had few resources, so they made the most of what they did have. Everything that could have a useful purpose, did – from edibles such as herbals, medicinals, and ceremonial plants, to fibers, leaves and stalks for basketry, construction and weapons. Think of nature as your favorite big box store.
Master Naturalists Karyn and Mike Parker will share how native peoples made the most of what they had in their environment, as well as what they use themselves such as agarita jellies and yaupon teas.
The event starts at the newly constructed amphitheater followed by a plant hike along the creek and pond where Karyn and Mike will show you some of the plants as they grow in nature. If you’re brave, you can even taste them!
Registration will open for members of Friends of Balcones NWR April 20.
Registration for everyone will open May 4.
Join Friends of Balcones NWR here: https://www.friendsofbalcones.org/Individual/family-Memberships
Map to Doeskin Ranch: https://goo.gl/maps/Hdu3xE3UMQ22
Suggestions for post field trip activities:
If you want to explore the little town of Bertram, just north up 1174:
● Lunch at Mambo Italiano – a delightful surprise to find Austin-quality Italian food in Bertram
● Arts and crafts – Mosaic Gardens – fused glass, jewelry, goat milk soap, mosaics, and other art from local artists
● Distillery – Flanigan’s Distillery – a fun tasting experience
● The Pecan guy – his pecan cake won the Texas-wide HEB cook off contest. He has a little coffee shop in the lobby of the Bertram library. (warning – it’s additive!)
If you’re heading back to Austin on 1431:
● Lunch at Flat Creek Winery just down Singleton Bend Road, about half way to Lago Vista, wood fired pizza, salmon, risottos and pastas, a lovely view and some of the best wines in the hill country (they have the awards to prove it!) They also have a fun wine-theme gift shop and tasting room.