Founded in 2015 and housed in a real mill from the 1880s, the Science Mill is a nonprofit science center dedicated to introducing and exciting all kids to a world of future STEM careers. It’s mission is based on the strong belief that a scientific and technology-literate population is essential to our country’s economy and critical to resolving serious issues we face in the coming years.
Through cutting-edge technology-based exhibits, games, and programs, the Science Mill expands students' understanding and appreciation of science in their everyday lives. By igniting their curiosity and inspiring them to pursue post-secondary education, the Science Mill experience starts students on the path to a life-long career in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM).
From their bio lab to exploring the human body, a slice at a time, from the story of water to the mystery of fractals in nature, our tour guide will help us experience how nature, science and art intersect to create a world of curiosity and beauty in their creative and interactive exhibits.
For more information: https://www.sciencemill.org
Note: there will be a non refundable fee for admission of $10.00
Registration will open for Friends of Balcones (FOBCNWR) only August 19, 2019, all others Aug 26, 2019.
This event is limited to 20 people and we expect it to fill up quickly. To increase your chances of participation, join Friends of Balcones Canyonlands at https://www.friendsofbalcones.org/Individual/family-Memberships and register early!
Suggestions for post field trip activities in and around Johnson City:
● After feeding your brain, time to feed your stomach!
● Lady Bird Lane Cafe – fusion flavor with a twist
● Pecan Street Brewery – great beers on tap, great American fare
● Bryans on 290 – creative chef, delightful entrees, extensive wine list
● Numerous wineries and art galleries are within minutes of the Science Mill such as:
Crowson Tasting Room & 290 Vinery; Echo, Black Spur Emporium & Texas Art Gallery.
● Lyndon B. Johnson State Park & Historic Site – just 13 miles west on 290
● Garrison Brothers Distillery in Hye – award-winning Texas cowboy bourbon, great tour and tasting – 12 miles west on 290